Sunday, April 19, 2015

New Ingredients Part 1

While at the store not long ago I noticed produce I had never heard and some I just didn't know much about.  I decided to look into them to see what they are, what to do with them, and if I want to try and use them.

 Chayote Squash
Mild flavor and texture
From tropical farms so they are available all year round
Buy:small firm fruits that feel heavy
Store: for several weeks, in the crisper or in a paper bag
Eat: Most of the time it's cooked but it can be eaten raw. Can be cooked using any method like grilling, baking, and steaming.


 Tamarind:
African spice, used in Worcestershire sauce.
Buy: Can be found in a variety of forms. I just happened to find whole beans
Store:In processed forms it can last almost forever
Eat: Use the dried forms for rubs, marinades, and other spice combinations

Persimmons:
A Mediterranean fruit with a sweet taste. There are two varieties; the American and the Japanese or Oriental variety.
Buy: Available later in the year. choose fruits that are rich in color, blemish free, and plump. Make sure the leaves are intact.
Store: Ripen on paper bag and refrigerate once ripened. Eat quickly. Can be frozen in a puree or whole.
Eat:You can eat them raw just remove the pulp. Add to smoothies and salads. The can be poached and preserved in to puree or preserves.
***These are what I'll be trying once they come back in season this winter***

Let me know if you have any suggestions!
Bonus: Look at these HUGE avocados I found. They were larger that my fist.
Sorry it's blurry

No comments:

Post a Comment