Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Recipe: Fudge Chiffon with Ganache


I made this for a birthday cake on year and this year I made it for myself. It may seem weird to have a heavy frosting on top of a light cake but that's exactly what makes it so delicious. The cake to the right is from my boyfriend's birthday a few years back. I even sprinkled it with powdered sugar, a talent I'm still mastering.

Cake:
1 3/4 cup double sifted flour
1 3/4 cup sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup Wesson Oil
7 unbeaten egg yolks
1 cup (7-8) egg whites
3/4 cup cold water
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cream of tartar

            In the first mixing bowl mix until well blended the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder. Next add the oil, egg yolks, water and vanilla. Mix until smooth. In a second bowl put the egg whites and cream of tartar. Mix the tartar mixture until stiffer than meringue. Pour the egg yolk mixture over the egg white mixture gradually. Fold in. Pour immediately into a 10 inch ungreased tube pan at least 4 inches deep. Bake for first time then increase to second temperature and time. Once done baking turn pan upside down and let hang until completely cool. Loosen from sides and tube with a spatula. Remove by turning over and hitting it on a table to loosen.

Temperature and times:
First time: 325° for 50 minutes
Second time: 350° for 10-15 minutes

Ganache:
9 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped or chips
1 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp dark rum (optional)

Just bring the cream to a boil over medium heat, watch carefully so it doesn't boil over. Pour over chocolate in a medium bowl and whisk; add rum. Allow to cool slightly then pour over the cake.

I used dark chocolate morsels this time around and if turned out delicious. I've never made it with rum before mostly because I never have any when I make ganache so let me know how you like it if you ever add in the rum. The recipe also gives the option for a fluffy ganache by allowing the ganache to cool then to whisk.




No comments:

Post a Comment